Re: [load balancing] Implementation of an Alteon L4 switch

From: Steve Phillips (steveIZZATnz.asiaonline.net)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 18:47:41 EDT

there is a lot of other things we will be useing the alteon for, however,
this is the begining of the implementation, yes, i realise we can do
simple port redirection with another box and some free software, however
this would then need to be swapped out when we decided to do some of the
more advanced things that some free software wont be able to do (layer 7
web redirection/load balanceing as well as GLSB, location based load
balanceing and standard load balanceing)

the other thing of note is the support side, while free software is all
well and good, it doesnt tend to come with the levels of support a
commercial product carries with it. Why e-mail this list and troll for
free support now you may ask ? currently we dont have the box, and i am
after ideas due to the fact that once this thing arrives (provided we can
get it in time) i will probably only have a week to implement the solution
including test time, I would prefer to start playing with ideas now than
when the box arrives, and yeah, i will more than likely be spending a lot
of time on the phone to the states discussing the setup with a commercial
support team if i cant arrive at a solution myself which i cant do with
products such as IPfilter and the free BSD type OS's

so, to answer the question :)

a) we intend to use it for more than simple redirection
b) we need the commercial support option to make the implementation a
   "viable" solution (for management ease of mind if nothing else)
c) it needs to be implemented quickly with virtually no time for testing
d) the Alteon has pretty lights and is a pretty colour
e) it sounds cool to say "I have an Alteon"

now.. has anyone actually done the port redirection thing as follows.. ?

                                 SMTP server

                                     | (somewhere else in the world)
                                 POP3 Server

--