Re: [load balancing] Implementation of an Alteon L4 switch

From: Dan Debertin (airbossIZZATbitstream.net)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 18:00:40 EDT

I am not answering your question, Steve, so if you want to hit 'D' right
now, I won't blame you.

I am continually surprised at the ease with which network
design/implementation folk shell out wads of cash for special-purpose
boxes, which could be easily replaced by much cheaper solutions. While I
support (and use) single-purpose machines for such complex tasks as load
balancing (we use Foundry), if you're looking at something simple like
port redirection, that could be easily done with a low-cost (but not too
cheap) Intel box running one of the free BSD OSes. No add-on software, no
closed hardware that costs thousands to replace.

I mean no disrespect, but port redirection is a terribly simple thing to
spend that much money on.

~Dan D.

		     Rarefied without Reason

++ Dan Debertin ++ Senior Systems Administrator ++ Bitstream Underground, LLC ++ airbossIZZATbitstream.net ++ (612)321-9290