[load balancing] F5 LTM marking nodes down

From: Julian Grunnell <julian.grunnell [izzat] pipex.net>
Date: Wed Nov 07 2007 - 10:14:24 EST

Hi - got a query regarding alerts that a STANDBY LTM 1500 is generating, we
have a pair of LTM 1500's in an ACTIVE / STANDBY setup using vlangroups.
Version 9.3.0 is installed. The nodes behind the LTMs are Microsoft 2003 IIS
6.0 servers using ACTIVE / PASSIVE NIC teaming.

We see on a daily basis the STANDBY LTM marking nodes as DOWN and then UP
for both icmp and HTTP health checks, often a minute or two inbetween the
state changes, the ACTIVE LTM NEVER logs anything.

At the times the alerts are seen the guys that admin the web servers cannot
see anything wrong at all - the servers are up and running. And the guys
that admin the network infrastructure cannot see any errors at all from any
of the switchports. What I have seen is that when the STANDBY LTM has the
node marked DOWN I can both ping the node in question and make a port 80
connection from the STANDY LTM which is just bizarre.

If anyone has any ideas on where the problem might lie, things that would be
worth checking or even better have had this problem before and how to
resolve it I would appreciate it!!

Thanks - Julian.

Julian Grunnell
3rd Line Technical Support