Re: [load balancing] Big/IP Usage question

From: tony bourke (tonyIZZATvegan.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 15:30:33 EST

    Hi Michael,

    > > I currenlty have a PIX firewall in front of the BIG/IP that acts as both a
    > > firewall and handles the NAT.
    > >
    > > I am thinking about moving the BIP to the same level as the PIX and not
    > > having the web servers go through the PIX.
    > >
    > > So, I would use the BIP for NAT.
    > >
    > > My questions are:
    > >
    > > 1. Does this kind of config make sense

    Yes. Many sites are using their NAT-capable load balancers to double as
    firewalls for either cost-cutting or throughput reasons.

    > > 2. Is it possible to have return/outbound traffic go around the BIP and
    > > straight to the internet? If so, how?

    Only if you use Direct Server Return, known to BIG-IP as nPath. It
    doesn't make a whole lot of sense to send outbound traffic through the PIX
    though, the BIG-IP can handle the traffic and with symetrical routing
    you've got much more control on what's going on. The PIX won't be able to
    do much security-wise handling only outbound traffic.

    > > 3. Are there any security concerns in doing what I mention above?

    Obviously check with portscans to make sure you're blocking everything
    you're blocking, but many high-profile sites (including ones I've setup)
    use this type of methedology.

    http://sysadmin.oreilly.com/news/loadbalancing_0801.html

    > > 4. Sould I upgrade to 4.x first?

    Do you need to? No, probably a good idea, although it's not giving any
    functionality that you don't already have in 3.x to do what you propose to
    do.

    Hope that helps,

    Tony

    Tony Bourke				tonyIZZATvegan.net