[load balancing] Survey Results

From: Tony Bourke <tony [izzat] vegan.net>
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 14:20:06 EDT

Hi All,

Thanks again to those that took the load balancing survey. I got a
tremendous number of responses, and there are a number of surprising
things that I've learned through it that I'd like to share.

First of all, I was surprised that the vast majority of respondents said
they purchased their hardware new (78%). If you include mostly new,
and some used, it goes up to 88%. I had assumed there was a far higher
number of used load balancers out there, especially people on the list.

Another interesting bit of data is that about half of all respondents
have changed vendors because of a bad experience with the old vendor.

Java in one form or another is the most prevalent application utilized,
although there doesn't seem to be any dominant Java platform.

Only 5% of respondents said that they use applications that do not
require persistence. Almost 80% total responded that at least half of
their applications require persistence, so that appears to be a
universal requirement.

Cheers,

Tony