RE: [load balancing] FOUNDRY SERVERIRON XL FAILED IP STICK

From: Philip Goldie (pgoldieIZZATnortelnetworks.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 11:42:06 EDT

    Luis,

    The only real model for dealing with persistence either in SSL environments
    or plain HTTP is cookies. This is
    not a Foundry limitation, just the nature of the protocols, applications and
    infrastuctures which make up the
    Internet :-(

    One alternative is to use SSL Session ID as a persistence mechanism, but
    this is often proved fruitless as
    most browsers renegotiate the SSL ID periodically. There is a fix for this,
    but only if you're in control of the
    desktop of the user base, which it sounds like you're not.

    Phil.