Re: [load balancing] keeping load balancers separate

From: Arthur Thomas (arthurIZZATsitesmith.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 15:42:08 EST

we are not talking about foundry or alteon (unless they have models with hard
disk options). we are talking about arrowpoint and the software based solutions
like f5. with those vendors and with their models that support dual
powersupplies, the cost of additional powersupplies and replacing the hard
disks with solid-state devices is high, to the point where it would have made
sense to just purchase two devices from the beginning. take a look at an
11800 from Cisco. Throw in dual power supplies, redundant managment cards and
ethernet blades and you'll have spent a huge portion of what it would have
cost to just purchase two 11800 chasis with one of everything in each. plus
instead of 8 minutes of downtime when failing over, you'll have a time
measured in seconds.

i was incorrect in saying it would cost the "same". It's more like 75% of the
cost of getting a pair of LB's

arthur

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 11:06:57AM -0800 Titus, Tim decided to say: