RE: [load balancing] keeping load balancers separate

From: Dru Nelson (druIZZATredwoodsoft.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 13:55:41 EST

I agree, that those are good measures (using flash instead of a hard
drive), but they don't protect you from bugs or user errors. So if you
run a redundant system, that eliminates the worry of a hard disk failure
or other failures.
For example, in one of the earlier Alteon releases (which I ran),
the Alteon would lock up after 42 days. I was registered with them,
and I didn't get notified of this problem.

> Of course the best solution is to have the $$$ to buy a completely
> fault-tolerant solution with a failover device.

When uptime is important, it is easy to justify the $$$.

Dru Nelson
San Mateo, California