Re: [load balancing] load balancing large farms?

From: Troy Davis (troyIZZATnack.net)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 01:30:08 EDT

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Jeremy Noetzelman <jjnIZZATpeoplelink.com> wrote:

> For people like you with a need for non-HTTP health checks, this can get
> dicy, but for the most part, you're ok.

With most ASIC devices, the layer 7 support is limited to checking the
protocols that its software supports - HTTP, SMTP, FTP, POP3, DNS, etc.
Enough for your average ISP or Web farm, but not so hot when you're in a
developing market, have proprietary or non-standard protocols,
or rely on protocols that the device doesn't yet support. Sorry if I
wasn't clear.

This thread reminded me that our Foundry rep had emailed me last month
and said that the ServerIron now supports RTSP. Not nearly as cool as
allowing freeform protocol checks, but a good start.

Cheers,

Troy