Re: [load balancing] Global Load Balancing

From: Alex Samonte (asamonteIZZATsitesmith.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 19:38:16 EDT

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 02:11:10PM -0700, Jay Christopherson wrote:
> Has anyone out there implemented any geographic or global load balancing
> using Arrowpoint (read, Cisco) load balancers? How does the Arrowpoint
> make decisions on sending traffic to another geographic location? Do they
> send any information to each other, other than the fact that they are alive
> (similar to F5 3DNS & BigIP where the 3DNS is aware of the server health
> below the BigIP's...)?

> I have been told that Arrowpoint only knows about the other Arrowpoints,
> nothing about the servers below it. However, the 'sales guys' claim that
> they tell each other about server health/metrics... generally I take
> everything sales says with a grain of salt, but I can't disount their claims
> out of hand with any personal knowledge.

I believe this only applies if you are doing the NAT peering stuff.
With the nat peering there is a lot more state information shared between
the AP's which also includes CAPP and I think the local farm metrics.

I'm not quite sure of this however. I haven't look at the nat peering
stuff for a while.

-Alex