[load balancing] Global Load Balancing

From: Jay Christopherson (jchristophersonIZZATsitesmith.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 17:11:10 EDT

Has anyone out there implemented any geographic or global load balancing
using Arrowpoint (read, Cisco) load balancers? How does the Arrowpoint
make decisions on sending traffic to another geographic location? Do they
send any information to each other, other than the fact that they are alive
(similar to F5 3DNS & BigIP where the 3DNS is aware of the server health
below the BigIP's...)?

I have been told that Arrowpoint only knows about the other Arrowpoints,
nothing about the servers below it. However, the 'sales guys' claim that
they tell each other about server health/metrics... generally I take
everything sales says with a grain of salt, but I can't disount their claims
out of hand with any personal knowledge.

Thanks-
Jay Christopherson