RE: [load balancing] RE: Beginner's How to configure F5

From: Winter, R. Stephen (SWinterIZZATbecu.org)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 13:10:21 EDT

    I don't think the Virtual Address will pass ICMP (only TCP and UDP).
    If the BigIP doesn't have an existing connection or a VIP with the
    IP:Port that the packets are coming in one, it will ignore the packet by
    default.

    You would probably need to turn on "IP Forwarding", then the BigIP will
    just route any packets that don't have an assiciated VIP. Depending on
    what your full topology looks like, you may not want to do that. If you
    did turn on IP forwarding, you could always add in some rules and
    filters to block unwated traffic, but it could get pretty complicated
    real fast....

      _____