Vedr.: [load balancing] Cisco/Arrowpoint CSS

From: Johnny Fribert Lauridsen (JOHLAUIZZATdanskebank.dk)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 21:49:21 EDT

    Simon,
    You are not the only one with CSS systems. I have about 25 in my shop.
    And they do a good job at this shop.
    We did have problems with the CSS11800, but after the shift to the
    css11506, we have had no problems.

    /Johnny

    Simon Ferrett <simonIZZATmusicmatch.com>
    Sendt af: owner-lb-lIZZATvegan.net
    14-07-2003 18:11
    Besvar venligst til lb-l

            Til: "lb-lIZZATvegan.net" <lb-lIZZATvegan.net>
            cc:
            Vedr.: [load balancing] Cisco/Arrowpoint CSS

    Hi Folks,

    I've been a bit of a lurker on the list for a while and I've noticed a bit
    of a trend to date - that being there's a lot of discussion about most
    different brands of loadbalancers, but the mention of Cisco/Arrowpoint CSS
    are very few.

    Does this mean that nobody uses them (except me)? Or do they just run so
    smoothly that nobody ever has any questions about them (certainly not my
    experience so far)?

    Anyhow - I'm curious if the usage of this particular balancer is so low,
    why
    that is? (too many issues, not enough features?)

    So far I've been to Cisco with issues regarding:
    * Multi packet HTTP requests breaking L4 rules
    * Gigabit SNMP counters don't work (apparently this is a "feature" that
    they
    can't fix)
    * Uneven traffic balancing and URL-HASH stickyness not working (until I
    gave
    up and powercycled the unit, which fixed it)

    My current heartache is that of the two systems using VRRP to back each
    other up, the backup unit will from time-to-time decide to be the master
    (without the actual master noticing or changing anything) for a couple of
    seconds fo no apparent reason (the critical service does not bounce) and
    then go back to being the backup router, which causes quite a hiccup on
    the
    network. This is with a pair of CSS11800's running 5.00 build 73 of the
    software.

    So - I'm curious if how many other CSS users out there that have
    experienced
    similar issues, or if everyone has shyed away from using the CSS balancers
    either because they are too expensive or too buggy? Or am I the only CSS
    user running into these kinds of issues with this system?

    Cheers,
    Simon.

    ---

    This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or his/her representative, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

    <FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">_______________ Vi goer opmaerksom paa, at denne e-mail kan indeholde fortrolig information. Hvis du ved en fejltagelse modtager e-mailen, beder vi dig venligst informere afsender om fejlen ved at bruge svar-funktionen. Samtidig beder vi dig slette e-mailen i dit system uden at videresende eller kopiere den. Selv om e-mailen og ethvert vedhaeftet bilag efter vores overbevisning er fri for virus og andre fejl, som kan paavirke computeren eller it-systemet, hvori den modtages og laeses, aabnes den paa modtagerens eget ansvar. Vi paatager os ikke noget ansvar for tab og skade, som er opstaaet i forbindelse med at modtage og bruge e-mailen. _______________ Please note that this message may contain confidential information. If you have received this message by mistake, please inform the sender of the mistake by sending a reply, then delete the message from your system without making, distributing or retaining any copies of it. Although we believe that the message and any attachments are free from viruses and other errors that might affect the computer or IT system where it is received and read, the recipient opens the message at his or her own risk. We assume no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this message. </FONT>