RE: [load balancing] Foundry switches, and network topo....

From: Stanley, Jon (Jon.StanleyIZZATsavvis.net)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 16:33:26 EDT

    Another alternative is to use DSR (Direct Server Return), aka
    SwitchBack, where the Foundry, upon receving a request for the VIP,
    translates the destination MAC address from being that of the Foundry to
    the MAC of the server. In order for this to work, you have to configure
    a loopback interface on every real server that has the IP of the VIP.
    If the servers are Windows, M$ will try to help you out by adding a
    route to the subnet in the routing table through the new loopback
    interface. This is not what you want. What's more, it will do it at
    every reboot. What we do to get around this is set up a scheduled task
    in Windows that runs at startup. What this task does is delete the
    extraneous route.

    Hope this helps.