RE: [load balancing] Foundry ServerIron - Usability

From: John Morency (jmorencyIZZATsterlingresearch.com)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 14:42:05 EDT

    Hi, John,

    One of the Foundry ServerIron's most significant product strengths
    is its price/performance (Foundry quotes a total fabric capacity of 56Gig,
    yet the entry price point for the product is only $14,995 (or at least it
    was last I checked a month or two ago). Not all LBs are created equal,
    however, and it is worth checking the ServerIron's capability with respect
    to such areas as box failover, secondary server failover and VRRP support
    among others. Foundry's IronView is a good web-based element
    manager with some pretty functional auto-discovery, change control, VLAN and
    ACL config management built in. Foundry's web site has a pretty good
    walkthrough
    of all of IronView's features and functionality at:

    http://www.foundrynetworks.com/products/networkman/ironview/features.html

    Hope this helps.

                    Cheers, John

    > Hi,

    > Only been lurking a few short weeks... curious if people regard the
    > Foundry ServerIron as an easy device to work with?

    > I guess I am curious if there are any standouts in usability from an
    > admin point of view? Cuz I figure from a functionality POV, for basic
    > load balancing and DSR and doing the right things with cookies and
    > SSL, well... most of them do that, right?

    Cheers,
    John