Re: [load balancing] NFS load balance

From: Vikram Khare (vkhareIZZATpobox.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 11:35:33 EDT

    On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Dalvenjah FoxFire wrote:

    > the protocol work. Sun & EMC (two that I know of) have some fudges
    > that sort of work -- you list comma-separated hosts in the vfstab
    > where the single host would normally go for a filesystem, and in
    > theory it's supposed to switch between the hosts if it needs to.

    Yes, this is part of the NFS spec. It can be done in your auto-mounter
    or vfstab although I've found it only to work with hardmounts in
    vfstab (not sure if this was a Solaris bug or not).

    > But that only would work well with a read-only or replicating file
    > system, and in practice I could never get it to work right (though I
    > only controlled the client end, so it's possible the servers were
    > configured incorrectly.) I don't know of anything else that
    > accomplishes that sort of task.

    I've found it to be much more reliable than running clustering
    software (and cheaper too).

    --
    vkhareIZZATpobox.com