RE: [load balancing] steps to create warm stand by of BIG-IP v4.2

From: Cauthorn, Matt (MAN-Corporate) <Matt.CauthornIZZATcox.com>
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 15:12:21 EDT

Do you have any idea of the logic behind the choice to not make them
redundant?

In any case, you can do this by moving over the configs (bigip.conf is the
key file here) manually. If the only requirement is that the standby is
simply not on the network, you could roll up a pseudo pair by keeping the
appropriate interfaces down on the standby, but still take advantage of the
config sync that a real pair offers. That way your "failover" would be
enabling the interfaces on the standby. But this is still ugly and will
increase your exposure to errors and time to recovery.

Matt C.

PS - If you haven't done so already, a demo of the failover mechanism and
other features may help your case for a real redundant pair. I have done
this in the past, and it made a huge (positive) difference.