Re: [load balancing] Alteon Proxy IP

From: Jay Kline (listIZZATslushpupie.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 12:51:28 EDT

    On Wednesday 26 June 2002 11:35 am, tony bourke wrote:
    > Hi Jay,
    >
    > You can have client/server processing turned on an all ports and it won't
    > affect anything. Tecnically, you need client processing on port 8 and
    > server processing on port 3, but client/server can be enabled on both
    > wihtout affecting anything.

    I thought I read in one of the docs that it was an either/or thing.. that you
    couldnt have both.

    > You shouldn't need proxy IPs unless you are trying to hit 1.2.3.4 from
    > 10.3.0.41.

    I wont need any at all? I think I am loosing my understanding of how all this
    works.

    > You do need to turn IP forwarding on (since you're doing NAT-based
    > route-path)

    Hmm.. you mentioned NAT and that makes me think I might need a filter for
    this? Is this true or is the alteon able to handle this? How does the
    security of this play out, the idea is to have the real servers cut off from
    the internet except for the DNS functions. (we also plan to use the same
    setup with some web servers at some point)

    > What version of code are you running?

    10.0.25.1-SSH

    The documentation that I find from Nortel/Alteon pretty much sucks, does
    anyone know of a better source of information?

    Jay