RE: [load balancing] Alteon 2424 - problem with pbind on passive cookie

From: Mecklem, Timothy <tmecklemIZZATmedplus.com>
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 14:01:31 EDT

    I have had the same sort of experience with the 2424 series. I set
up passive load balancing against a Weblogic Cluster JSESSIONID cookie
and had initial problems because the Nortel doc specifies that URLSLB
should also be set. After several config dumps and packets dumps,
Nortel support determined that the urlslb should not be used with the
pbind passive cookie inspection feature. Additionally, certain versions
prior to 22.0.7 seem to have problems with passive cookie
inspection/pinning.
    On a slightly different note but in the same passive cookie binding
thread, I am experiencing odd behavior whenever a POST request comes
through that spans multiple packets. From dumps it looks like TCP
sessions seem to almost "collide" with similar sequence numbers across
other servers. The first packet (with the cookie) invariably gets
routed to the originating server, but subsequent packets end up in
another server's packet trace. This is happening somewhat randomly, but
the occurrence ratio increases disproportionately under load tests.

Tim

  _____