RE: [load balancing] RE:

From: Chuck Adkins (Chuck.AdkinsIZZATtheice.com)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 15:11:51 EDT

    Such a show off - and then you don't even explain how to enable ICMP.
    Light-weight novice all the way around - total rookie mistake Matt.
    Nice work.

    Chuck

    From ask.f5.com:

    Solution ID: SOL306
    Why am I unable to ping from nodes behind the BIG-IP Controller to an
    external network, even with a NAT configured?
    Product: BIG-IP
    Version: 1.8.3 through 4.5
    Updated: 03/25/2003

    I cannot ping from nodes behind the BIG-IP Controller to an external
    network even though I have a NAT configured.

    Resolution:
    BIG-IP version 1.8.3 through 4.5 will not pass ICMP messages (ping) if
    the ICMP messages pass through a virtual server, even if a NAT is
    configured. The only way to successfully pass an ICMP message in BIG-IP
    version 1.8.3 through 4.5 is to enable IP forwarding.

    Important: F5 Networks recommends that you do not use IP forwarding in
    conjunction with NATs or SNATs. If load balancing is not required
    (thereby eliminating the need for a virtual server), the BIG-IP could
    pass ICMP messages using only a NAT.

    BIG-IP 4.1 through 4.5
    To allow IP forwarding on BIG-IP version 4.1 through 4.5, enable any_ip
    on the virtual server through which the ICMP traffic passes. For
    specific instructions, refer to the BIG-IP manual.

    BIG-IP version 1.8.3 through 4.0
    To allow IP forwarding on BIG-IP version 4.1 through 4.3, enable any_ip