RE: [load balancing] Alteon Load Balancer unable to ping virtual server

From: Giles Scott <gscottIZZATarubanetworks.com>
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 05:10:11 EDT

Hi,

I think you are making life hard for yourself if this is your first
Alteon experience.

I would ensure the client and server are on different physical ports.
I would ensure client processing is enabled on the port the client
connects to, and again server processing on the server port.

If a client tries to ping the VIP on a port were client processing is
not enabled the client will not be able to ping the VIP.

If the VIP is on a different network to the client you need to ensure
you have correctly set up routing on the client or up stream router,
depending on your layout.

There is not enough information in you e-mail to work out what is going
on.

As this is a 'new' switch I presume you have a support contract with
Nortel, in which case I would recommend speaking to Nortel Technical
Support for help in configuring this, or attend a training course.

Cheers

Giles