RE: [load balancing] Simultaneous sessions with BIGIP simple persistence

From: Winter, R. Stephen <SWinter [izzat] becu.org>
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 14:21:07 EST

As I understand it:

With simple persistense, the user will be forwarded to the same server
as long as the timeout hasn't expired. I don't know if that timer
resets everytime it see's a packet, or only when a new connection is
established, or it doesn't' reset it at all. Just from first overall
connection)

We have a web application that keeps "credentials" on the first server
you visit, so we have set the timeout for 8 hours, so they will always
stay on the same server for the entire day. We haven't had any problems
with users switching...

Without Persistence, every new connection would get balanced to a
potentially different server.

If the large file transfer is all one tcp connection, then it will not
get "reblanced" in the middle. The F5 only balances on TCP connections.
If the transfer is a number of files that each have a separate TCP
connection (ftp:mget), then they will get re-balanced once the timer is
expired.

-Stephen

NOTICE: This communication and any attachments may contain privileged or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or believe that you may have received this communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating that fact and delete the copy you received without printing, copying, retransmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using the information. Thank you.