[load balancing] BIGIP V9.04 WebGUI errors

From: Josh Gluck <joshgluckIZZATgmail.com>
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 16:55:42 EST

Hello LB-L!

I was wondering if anyone has been having similar issues with the 9.x
code. I currently have a pair of LTM-3400's running active/standby
that experience an issue displaying the list of virtuals servers in
the webGUI. At some unspecified interval after a clean start, if you
click on the Virtuals Servers link under Local Traffic you are
returned a General Database Error. Subsequent clicks return a normal
looking page but return no records to display. I do currently have an
open case with F5 that has been escalated to DEV and I have tracked
down the issue to a NULL pointer being passed into the list.jsp when
it attempts to do a SELECT * from virtual_server which I am assuming
is generating the data for the JSP to display.

Please understand that the BigIPs continue to service their configured
Virtual Servers without interruption and that this issue only seems to
cause issue with the webGUI as I can still see all the virtual servers
via bigpipe commands. I am however, unable to run a bigpipe load and
when doing so get an ExtremeDB error that there is not enough memory.
It used to be that the issue would present rather regularly overnight.
 Also of note, it is possible to resolve the issue by doing a bigstart
restart which is definetly service impacting as it restarts, TMM and
other procs when run so I can do this on the standby unit during the
day.

Here are some actual error messages:

Seen in webGUI:
<!> General database error retrieving information.

Seen in catalina.out:
2005-02-15 08:27:05,382 ERROR [Thread-18] util.F5Error:<init> - General data
base error retrieving information.
java.sql.SQLException: 01020002:3: A null pointer was passed into a function. in
 statement [SELECT COUNT(*) FROM virtual_server]

Thanks!

--
josh