HydraGPS load balancing was RE: [load balancing] Verisign and Load Balancers

From: Nimesh Vakharia (nvakhariIZZATgenx.net)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 02:32:16 EST

    This is an interesting implementation but if I understand
    correctly u'r are not optimizing delivery from the client to the
    website.
            Correct me if I'm wrong but the HydraGPS's are independently
    located and the AS thats announcing the VIP (VIP1) is discontiguous.
    The GPS caluates the metric b/w itself and the probe/site

    </quote> "{{measured latency (delay) proximity (hop count and MTU),
    congestion (packets per second, lost packets, out of sequence packets),
    anomalies (duplicate and damaged packets), ICMP errors}}" </quote>

    rewrites the client requests and directs it towards the optimal
    destination (destination IP is the managment network VIP ie VIP2). The
    local SLB solution balances and responds back with the actual VIP1 (VIP1
    is not routable to this farm from the net).

    Feel free to correct this setup if you find any inconsistencies.

    Here are the problems as I see them:

    - the return path of the packets (the bulk of the traffic) ie from the
    server farm to the cleint has nothing to do with the metrics being
    measured between the GPS and the probe. For all you know the return path
    goes through a bunch of completely different service providers. You could
    be acheiving minimal to zero or even performance degradation at this
    point.

    - ISP tend to filter ingress traffic to prevent spoofing. This filters are
    setup querying the RADB (similar concept as to filtering your BGP
    routes). This solution indicates that you are spoofing packets from
    the server farms. Getting around it ie falsely modifying the RADB would
    break a lot of things on the net...

    Can you address these issues? I looked around your site but could not find
    any information on these cases.

    I used the FAQ's/PDF's as my source of information.

    http://www.hydraweb.com/products/hydragps/answers.asp?item=29
    explains the network design/layout for people who are interested.

    Nimesh.