Re: [load balancing] Cascading switches off of a Foundry switch

From: KJ & JC Salchow (salchowIZZATfrontiernet.net)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 00:30:19 EST

    Yeah, but they are APPLICATION SPECIFIC. They perform essentially "one
    program". And if you're talking "switches" the ASICs they have are all
    about switching (basically bridges on a chip). ALL of the LB's have
    "general purpose processors" inside them that deal with most of the Layer 4
    and above stuff.

    And even if they didn't - then I'd argue about upgradability in the code.
    ASICs are still way too expensive to hand over the dynamic - feature
    changing - fast-paced world of the Internet. They'd have to be designing
    new chips faster than they could produce them - and it would require a
    forklift upgrade every time.

    So . . . point taken - and yes it depends on what "packet rewrites" really
    means. :-)