Re: [load balancing] Cascading switches off of a Foundry switch

From: tony bourke (tonyIZZATvegan.net)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 22:34:31 EST

    remember, ASICs are processors too, the only difference is that ASICs are
    designed with a single purpose in mind such as IP functions, rather than
    the ability to run Microsoft Word in addition to packet rewrites.

    Doing so skips several layers of abstraction, which is why they are
    faster.

    Tony

    On Fri, 16 Feb
    2001, Nimesh Vakharia wrote:

    > > I doubt that the packet rewrites are taking place in ASIC - anytime you go
    > > above layer 2 doing dynamic stuff you've got to have a processor and ram.
    > >
    > Possible, this is what our sales/SE guys implied (its all
    > ASIC)... its quite possible it was a sales gimmick...
    >
    > Nimesh.

    Tony Bourke tonyIZZATvegan.net