RE: [load balancing] Verisign and Load Balancers

From: Andrew Fort (afortIZZATstaff.webcentral.com.au)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 19:17:14 EST

    > Actually it's one cert per SSL device in my interpretation of
    > the license.
    > Verisign is/did try rather hard to convince me that it was one SSL
    > certificate per device benefiting from SSL...

    I guess this is hardly surprising.

    Thawte reps have been speaking with us saying "so.. what other services do
    you think we could sell to you?".

    The answer given from the hosting companies has just been "the least
    overhead possible, lowest cost X.509 certs. we dont want anything else from
    you, thanks".

    So the Certificate Authority companies are getting worried that they have
    only a single revenue stream like this (hence Verisign diversifying into
    selling kitchen sinks badly, as well as certs).

    This Verisign licensing stinks of selling unnecessary product.