RE: [load balancing] Cascading switches off of a Foundry switch

From: Gary E. Miller (gemIZZATrellim.com)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 15:46:18 EST

    Yo Ryan!

    I have been playing with serveral of these for the last few months.

    From what I understand, ServerIrons can load balance at the
    Layer 4 level (http, httpd, etc.), but not on the the Layer 2 level (MAC).

    You have no Layer 4 balancing commands at all in your config.
    They start with "server real .." and "server virtual ...".

    At the Layer 2 (MAC or switch layer) it just does spanning tree.
    Spanning tree does not do any balancing. Instead it prevents
    loops by disabling (BLOCKING) interfaces that would cause loops.

    The Foundry docs are online at www.foundrynet.com. They are a
    bit verbose, but they accurately lead you to working configs.

    RGDS
    GARY
    Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
            gemIZZATrellim.com Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676