Re: [load balancing] Windows NLB or hardware LB

From: Thomas Obermair <thomas.obermair [izzat] inlab.de>
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 11:09:27 EST

Hi Mohan,

some of our customers replaced NLB by our product BalanceNG, a software
based load balancer ( http://www.inlab.de/balanceng/ ) ... this would be
- although strongly biased - my recommendation, especially if the budget
is low :) !

Best Regards,
Thomas

Mohan Radhakrishnan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are setting up a highly-secure and available Payment Card
> Industry application. The application will be accessed by financial
> institutions across the globe. Due to paucity of funds we started
> using Windows NLB and not a hardware LB.
>
> I would like to know before it is too late what the effects of this are.
>
> 1. What is the difference between NLB and a hardware LB ?
> 2. Is there a availability problem ? There would be severe
> penalties if the 24x7 app. faces a NLB problem ? What does the forum
> recommend ?
>

> Thanks,
> Mohan

Thomas Obermair
Inlab Software GmbH, http://www.inlab.de
Josef-Wuerth-Str. 3, 82031 Gruenwald, Germany
Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB 94795
Geschaeftsfuehrer (CEO): Thomas Obermair
BalanceNG - The Software Load Balancer for Linux and Solaris
- Free download and trial at: http://www.inlab.de/balanceng/