RE: [load balancing] Route Optimizers, BIG-IP Link Controller

From: Nicolas Berthier (nicolas.berthierIZZATsilicomp.fr)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 04:42:14 EST

Hi Thomas,

Our society installed a redundant pair of BIG-IP 1000 Link Controller for
Eurotunnel (society that manages tunnel under sea between France an
England). Eurotunnel use two ISP to manage inbound and outbound traffic.
Major goal of Link Controller solution is to eliminate BGP.

Typical configuration is : two "external" VLAN (ISP1 and ISP2) and one
"internal" VLAN defined on BIG-IP. You use IP subnet of ISP1 for VLAN ISP1
and IP address of ISP1 for VLAN ISP2, and typically RFC 1918 addresses for
vlan "internal".

BIG-IP handles outbound traffic with SNAT : "private" source IP address is
replaced by "public" IP address and forwarded to ISP router. This IP depends
of which ISP is used by BIG-IP to forward trafic (load-balancing algorithm,
cost managment, ...). Response are handled with reverse-SNAT : public IP
address is replaced by private IP address.

BIG-IP handles inbound traffic with DNS response : BIG-IP respond to DNS
requests for this site (you can create several "site"). If your site is
www.mysite.com, BIG-IP sends to client public IP address of IPS1 or ISP2
depending of choosen load-balancing algorithm. So your client will use ISP1
or ISP2 to contact www.mysite.com. Constraint is you have to create two DNS
entry for www.mysite.com like this :

www.mysite.com :
IP1 //Public IP of ISP1
IP2 //Public IP of ISP2

You will find more information at
http://www.f5.com/solutions/tech/multi_homing.html.

Concerning Internap, I do not have any information about those products.

Regards,

Nicolas Berthier
Network Engineer
Silicomp Reseaux