Re: [load balancing] Load Balancer Evaluation: Which would you pick?

From: John Hall (j.hallIZZATf5.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 20:36:58 EST

    It *is* happy so far! And a happy new year to you as well! :)

    I find it interesting that you say you are not sending connections
    'through' an OS, yet you state that the packet engine operates in
    "kernel mode". All of the OS's I am aware of also have a kernel and
    connections being handled by that kernel are generally considered to be
    handled by the OS. I was trying to distinguish between what the switch
    folks usually call "slow path" (requiring processing by a host processor)
    and "fast path" (usually completely handled by ASIC's). In todays world
    of 3GHz CPU chips, the difference is becoming less and less, but it still
    is significant.

    I hate tit-for-tat, but the stacks used in BIG-IP are highly refined by
    us and bear little resemblance to a "generic OS TCP/IP stack" and also
    do not involve any context switching. I honestly suspect that the same
    would be said by most load balancing vendors.

    Cheers,
    JMH

    --
    John Hall              Test Manager - Switch Team             F5 Networks, Inc.