Re: [load balancing] layer 4 capabilities

From: Stephane Litkowski (st_litkowskiIZZAThotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 08:07:33 EST

    In order to redirect based on URL, u need to use layer 7 switching.
    Layer 4 switching permit only to do a redirection based on Layer 3 or 4
    parameters (IP addresses & TCP/UDP port numbers .... So If u use Layer 7
    switching on platform like Alteon or Cisco CSS, u will use "CPU switching"
    (layer 7 analysis done by CPU) instead of ASIC switching at layer 4.