Antw:Re: [load balancing] QuestionsregardingCiscoSecureContent Acc elerator

From: Michael Mauch (Michael.MauchIZZATcontrolware.de)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 15:42:01 EST

    ++ Dies ist eine automatische Antwort / This is an automatic reply ++

    Ich bin bis zum 28. Januar 2002 außer Haus. Bei dringenden Angelegenheiten wenden Sie sich bitte an unser Sekretariat unter der Durchwahl -303.

    I am out of the office until January 28th 2002. In urgent matters, please feel free to contact our secretary at extension -303.

    Mit freundlichem Gruß / Kind Regards

    Michael Mauch

    >>> "lb-lIZZATvegan.net" 01/20/02 21:01 >>>

    ++ Dies ist eine automatische Antwort / This is an automatic reply ++

    Ich bin bis zum 28. Januar 2002 außer Haus. Bei dringenden Angelegenheiten wenden Sie sich bitte an unser Sekretariat unter der Durchwahl -303.

    I am out of the office until January 28th 2002. In urgent matters, please feel free to contact our secretary at extension -303.

    Mit freundlichem Gruß / Kind Regards

    Michael Mauch

    >>> "lb-lIZZATvegan.net" 01/20/02 20:21 >>>

    ++ Dies ist eine automatische Antwort / This is an automatic reply ++

    Ich bin bis zum 28. Januar 2002 außer Haus. Bei dringenden Angelegenheiten wenden Sie sich bitte an unser Sekretariat unter der Durchwahl -303.

    I am out of the office until January 28th 2002. In urgent matters, please feel free to contact our secretary at extension -303.

    Mit freundlichem Gruß / Kind Regards

    Michael Mauch

    >>> "lb-lIZZATvegan.net" 01/20/02 19:45 >>>

    ++ Dies ist eine automatische Antwort / This is an automatic reply ++

    Ich bin bis zum 28. Januar 2002 außer Haus. Bei dringenden Angelegenheiten wenden Sie sich bitte an unser Sekretariat unter der Durchwahl -303.

    I am out of the office until January 28th 2002. In urgent matters, please feel free to contact our secretary at extension -303.

    Mit freundlichem Gruß / Kind Regards

    Michael Mauch

    >>> "lb-lIZZATvegan.net" 01/20/02 18:57 >>>

    ++ Dies ist eine automatische Antwort / This is an automatic reply ++

    Ich bin bis zum 28. Januar 2002 außer Haus. Bei dringenden Angelegenheiten wenden Sie sich bitte an unser Sekretariat unter der Durchwahl -303.

    I am out of the office until January 28th 2002. In urgent matters, please feel free to contact our secretary at extension -303.

    Mit freundlichem Gruß / Kind Regards

    Michael Mauch

    >>> "lb-lIZZATvegan.net" 01/20/02 17:55 >>>

    > We have done plenty of testing with SSL accelerators,

    I'm aware first-hand of some of the testing you've done. I was at your
    office last year when a customer of mine was trying to sell you one. :)

    > and while it is true
    > the current set of SSL accelerators only deal with the handshake, the
    > bulk encryption is nothing to laugh at either.

    I never said it should be ignored. I just said that I wouldn't use
    sustained sessions as the performance number to quote about a box.

    > There is a big difference in the performance curves in checking the
    > number of ssl connections/sec with 0 or near 0 length files,

    I agree. I've seen the number first-hand on various different boxes and
    the effect that the bulk crypto has is different from box to box, but
    it's quite a drastic impact. I wasn't saying it's irrelevant, but it's
    not the number I would first quote when discussing performance given
    that it is largely dependent on the CPU and not the more unique (crypto
    cards) hardware in the box - your comments about the prevalence of bulk
    crypto in hardware is noted.

    > Fortunately the newest generation of SSL chips generally also handle
    > the bulk encryption as well. This will hopefully make it less
    > of a concern.

    That's good to hear. I hope that vendors will now move to concentrate a
    bit more on increased availability features.

    regards,

        Steve