[load balancing] BigIP's and trunking

From: Tim Maestas (lbIZZATdnsconsultants.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 21:42:19 EST

    I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences (good, bad, or
    otherwise) with using trunking under BigIP 4.x, in particular into a Cisco
    6500 series switch. In reading the 4.x documentation, there is no mention
    of 802.1q trunk modes like there was in 3.x, so I'm not sure how I would
    be able to make my Cisco treat my trunked interfaces as a group. In 4.x
    it seems like outgoing packets from the BigIP would be
    "load-balanced" between the interfaces, but I don't see how this is
    possible for incoming packets, without something like 802.1q. Granted,
    if nothing else trunks will give me interface failover, but I'm looking
    more for bandwidth aggregation. Any info would be appreciated.

    -Tim