Re: [load balancing] active-active mode, each controller balancing the same virtual servers?

From: Phil Helliwell (phil.helliwellIZZATenergis.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 13:01:40 EST

    Hey

    As far as I'm aware Alteons can, as long as there isn't another
    switch in front of the Alteon. BIG-IPs are more like a router.

    So if we have two VIPS:

    192.168.254.3:80
    192.168.254.4:80

    then we'd do this ..

    first enable active-active mode, then ..

    bigpipe vip 192.168.254.3:80 unit 1 { use pool vip1_pool }
    bigpipe vip 192.168.254.4:80 unit 2 { use pool vip2_pool }

    so we have them both active but servicing different VIPs.
    You've also got to setup the two shared addresses for routing
    on the inside..

    bigpipe self 172.16.254.1 vlan internal unit 1 floating enable
    bigpipe self 172.16.254.2 vlan internal unit 2 floating enable

    Then your servers get setup in clumps (maybe groups of pools) and route to
    each address as a default gateway.

    Hope that helps, just shout if you want a better explination.

    Later

    Phil