[load balancing] Initial Setup Help

Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 11:14:42 EST

    Good Morning,

    I have just aquired an Alteon AD3 and figured I'd try and get it working
    for
    failover on my webservers. Unfortunately I'm not having too much luck
    and
    hope to get some assistance.

    This is the equipment I have:

     Switch Type ACEdirector 3
     Hardware Rev B
     Hardware Part Num 200009B02
     Software Rev 8.0.41
     Enabled Software features Layer 4: SLB + WCR

    This is what I'm trying to do:

    AD3 External IP 209.xx.xx.xx to redirect requests to internal web
    servers on
    192.168.0.xx addresses.

    I have set up the AD3 with the external address and I am able to telnet
    it. I have set up 3 real servers with the internal IP's of
    192.168.0.20, 25
    & 30.

    From my router I have a connection to port 1 on the AD3 and then port 2
    is connected to a hub which the 3 webservers are also connected to.
    Now, if I connect my workstation to the AD3 I can see the webservers ok
    so I know the AD3 is acting as a regular switch, but from the AD3
    console itself I cannot see any of the internal machines, cannot ping
    them and they report as unavailable. However, I can ping the outside
    world.

    I'm thinking the problem may have to do with virtual IP's but I'm not
    sure if this is true or not and if so, how it should be configured.

    Any enlightenment would be a great help.

    Thanks,
    Rob.