RE: [load balancing] LB History

From: Mike Paratore (mparatorIZZATcisco.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 12:04:57 EST

    Alex, Below is the original LD press release [posted in July of 1996]

    Cisco Systems Ships Cisco LocalDirector to Meet Demands of High-Volume Web
    Traffic
    New hardware device eases network jams through intelligent load balancing
    between Web servers

    ----
    SAN JOSE, Calif. - July 23, 1996 - Cisco Systems, Inc. today began volume
    shipments of Cisco LocalDirector, a network hardware device that enables Web
    sites to accommodate a larger number of users by distributing network
    traffic across multiple servers. Cisco LocalDirector acts as a transparent
    front end to a group of servers and manages the workload of each by
    determining the most available server in the network. With Cisco
    LocalDirector, intranet managers, Web masters and Internet service providers
    (ISPs) can deliver high performance and reliable operation from their Web
    servers.
    Cisco LocalDirector enables network managers to add and remove servers from
    a group transparently, and manage and support a single IP address for a
    collection of heterogeneous Web servers and operating systems. Since network
    managers only need to manage a single IP address with Cisco LocalDirector,
    management of multiple heterogeneous Web servers is simplified.

    "Companies that want to take advantage of data-intensive applications such as electronic commerce, high-density video and graphics on their Web sites have to provide high-speed and reliable Web connections to their users," said Matthew Howard, product line manager at Cisco Systems. "Cisco LocalDirector provides a high-performance solution to maximize a company's ability to scale Internet and intranet services."

    "Our Web site delivers multimedia information to 150,000 people every day. We cannot afford to have our network discontinue service for server updates or maintenance," noted Jorgen Wahlsten, senior infrastructure engineer at Time, Inc. New Media. "By tracking our server loads and rerouting each session to the next available server, Cisco LocalDirector enables our network to deliver high-density data to users continuously and efficiently."

    Maximizes Web site accessibility Web sites and networks that were designed to accommodate hundreds of users are now facing demands from thousands, and in some cases, millions of users. According to a study by International Data Corporation, the number of Web users will increase from 8.3 million users in 1996 to 1.2 billion by the year 1999. While Cisco LocalDirector provides the appearance of a single, "virtual" server, it is not a proxy server and does not require specialized client or host software. Cisco LocalDirector also provides support for all common TCP/IP Internet services, such as the Web, File Transfer Protocol (FTP), Telnet and Gopher.

    "Cisco LocalDirector makes it simple to add or remove servers as needed to deliver consistent, high-speed access to our Web site," said Steve Plastrik, vice president of Technical Operations of Interactive Services at Viacom, Inc. "Our site contains lots of data-intensive information, making load balancing essential. In our testing environment, we were able to benchmark over one million hits per hour, spread over five servers by LocalDirector. Throughout the test, the servers appeared to the clients to be one virtual server."

    High-speed traffic control Cisco LocalDirector supports more than one million simultaneous TCP sessions and features a real-time kernel that provides over 45 Mbps of throughput with support for 10BaseT and 100BaseTX Ethernet ports. In addition, the device provides TCP fault tolerance to Internet and intranet services.

    Managing global Web traffic Cisco LocalDirector is part of the CiscoAdvantage(tm) product family, designed to improve network managers' ability to cope with the challenges posed by the growing popularity of the Internet. These products include firewalls, IP/IPX gateways and TCP/IP application. Also part of the CiscoAdvantage product family, Cisco DistributedDirector performs load-balancing tasks similar to Cisco LocalDirector, but over geographically dispersed servers. Cisco DistributedDirector will ship this fall.

    Cisco Systems (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the leading global supplier of internetworking solutions for corporate intranets and the global Internet. Cisco's products, including routers, LAN and ATM switches, dial-up access servers and network management software, are integrated by the Cisco IOS software to link geographically dispersed LANs, WANs and IBM networks. Company news and product/service information are available at World Wide Web site http://www.cisco.com. Cisco is headquartered in San Jose, California.

    # # #